vSphere plug-in unable to connect to the remote server
Today I found the following issue at a customers site, none of their plug-ins for vCenter including the hardware status were working.
I checked and the VMware webservices service were set to automatic but wasn’t not currently running. I started the service and this fixed the issue. I check the event log and it seems the service was failing to start. The reason for this is that this service talks to the SQL instance but the SQL instance (which was installed locally, SQL express) was taking longer to start than the webservices service.
There are two options, either set the service to have a delayed start, requires Windows 2008 or define the SQL instance as a dependant service for the vctomcat service in the registry:
inserting the SQL instance name, i.e. “MSSQL$SQLEXP_VIM” in the list